Wednesday, June 10, 2009

On Drawing All Over a Styrofoam Cup at Work, Even Though My Manager Says It's Wasteful

Published in the 2008 edition of Asinine Poetry

The way the metal point just glided across the surface, something
like a finger tip trailing through water. I think it was like eating
good soup--potato cheese beer soup or something, the comfort
food that warms your insides. It was strangely therapeutic in a 
romantic, wasteful kind of way. Satisfying like brushing the first
streak of paint onto a wet canvas. And even though I usually ruin 
my canvases, I was OK with ruining the cup, this time, because
I would make it beautiful slash awesome--it would just be
worthless for consumer use. What? You want a cup of soup to go?
Sorry. This cup has been drawn all over. Ruined by the wasteful
employee. Made better. But it was fantastic--the way the 
molecules just sank under the ink, gave way to the gentle pressure
of my lines. What a friendly submission; I don't think the stuff
minded really, that miraculous equation of alteration taking place
in my grip. And the styrofoam--it was incredible, the way it just
obeyed, agreed into being pressed into something different than what
it was supposed to be, like a lump of clay. And I thought of a chest,
exhaling, collapsing, finally at rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment